What will I find in this article?
Creating a New FormForms can be created two different ways:
- New: If you need to build a form from scratch, select the New Form button. Provide a name for your form and select Save & Continue.
- Copy Existing: If you have a previously created form that you would like to use as a template, you can click the Copy Form button on the right side of the page. This will copy all aspects of the form including layout, form fields, confirmation page and advanced options.
Once the form is created using either of these methods, you can use the following steps below to customize your form.
Form FieldsBy default, new forms start with basic text at the top and three form fields: First Name, Last Name, and Email Address. You can remove form fields by selecting the red “X” to the left of the field name. You can reorder the form fields by dragging and dropping the field to the desired location. To add addition form fields, select the Add a Field button at the top of the page. This provides you three options for field types:
- Contact Fields: Basic contact information such as name, address, city, state and postal.
- Profile Fields: Profiles setup in your CRM. You can word any profile in the form of a question. For example, you can modify the profile for "Annual Revenue" to "Your company's yearly revenue."
- Form Fields: Any customized field.
When adding Contact Fields or Profile Fields, check the box under On Form to add the field. To make the field required, check the box under Required. You also have the option of renaming the field in the form to the right of the field name.
To add a form field, select which type of field you would like the profile to be:
- Single selection – Dropdown selection to pick one choice.
- Single selection – Radio buttons to select one choice.
- Multiple selection – List Box to select multiple choices.
- Multiple selection – Checkbox to select multiple choices.
- Date – Textbox to enter date in mm/dd/yyyy format.
- Text – Textbox to enter data in written format.
- Number – Textbox to enter numerals and periods.
- File – Allows user to upload files.
- Rating Scale – Radio buttons to rate various options.
- Text Area – Larger textbox to allow customers to input text, useful for comments or written responses longer than a few words.
- Section Explanation – A text area used to describe sections of a form. Users do not type in this area, it is used for explanatory purposes.
Input field name, example text (if necessary) and determine if the field should be required.
For single, multiple selection and rating scale enter the options available for the field.
- Inputting text automatically creates additional blank fields.
- Use the check boxes and Delete button to delete unwanted options.
- Sort button allows user to click-and-drag options to put them in desired order.
CustomizeModify the remainder of the content of the form by clicking within the form layout box (not on a form field). This will bring up a content editor that will allow you to edit the rest of the information on the page. The merge field [FormFields] is where the form will be located within the page. If you erase the [FormFields] merge field then the form will appear bellow the rest of the content.
When done, click Save & Close.
Confirmation Page TabThe Confirmation Page allows you to customize the page that gets displayed after a customer completes a form on your site. Create the confirmation page using the content editor like you would a normal web page. When finished, click Save.
Confirmation Email TabThe Confirmation Email allows you to create an email confirmation that gets sent to customers after they have filled out the form. By default this is turned off. If you want to send an email confirmation, select Yes, otherwise leave No selected. If you decide to send customers a confirmation email, create a subject line for the email and then edit the content of the email using the content editor. When finished, click Save.
Distribution TabDistribution is the alert sent to a user when a customer fills out the form. By default the alert will be sent to the system admin. The Distribution tab allows you to decide which user(s) the form submissions and new contacts will be applied to. There are two choices:
- Assign everything to one user: Choose which user and how the forms and new contacts are assigned by clicking Edit.
- Assign based on a rule about how the forms are filled out:
- Click Select a rule.
- Click Add new rule.
- Name the rule and choose the field you wish to use.
When finished click Save.
Advanced Options TabThe Advanced Options section allows you to further customize your event. Your options include:
- Choosing if new contacts should be automatically created or not.
- Deciding whether existing contacts’ information and profiles should be automatically updated or not.
- Options linking the form with Customer Center.
- Option to enable data encryption, useful if requesting sensitive information from customers like driver’s license number, social security number, etc. If enabled email notification is not available.
If you make any changes, click Save at the bottom of the page.